Skip to Content
Starting out on my own
Open toolbar

Take the bonus quiz

Test your knowledge. Earn more points. Get started

What is the term for your take-home pay, after things like taxes are taken out?


The pay you take home is called your net income.

Next question
Other than rent, what will usually be your biggest housing cost?


Everyone's situation is different, but most people find that utilities are their second-biggest expense.

Next question

You got 2 of 3 correct

You can retake the quiz to maximize your points, but you won't get additional points for questions you already answered right.

Retake quiz

Key Takeaways

Print version

Starting out on your own can be an exciting and empowering move. Doing your research and being prepared for the costs could be a great way to make it a successful move.

  • If you’re moving for your job, the expenses may be deductible. Track all of the costs like professional movers, and packing supplies
  • When opening a new bank account, ask questions about different fees, minimum balance requirements and branch locations
  • Before you decide to move, add up all of the costs like security deposits, rent payments, realtor fees, professional movers, packing supplies and other moving related expenses
  • Look for your Forms W-2 and Forms 1099 in January or February. You generally have until April 15th to gather the rest of your documents and file your tax returns.
  • Use your student loans to your advantage.  You may be able to deduct up to $2,500 in interest payments
  • You need to file a tax return if you earned more than $10,300, (based on 2015 tax year). However, if your parents claim you as a dependent, you may need to file if you earned more than $6,300 or had unearned income greater than $1,050